Thursday, March 7, 2013

going to the country

when i was growing up, the only time i went camping was when i was at camp. and although it was tons of fun sweating in a camping bag in the middle of summer in order to avoid the swarms of mosquitoes  i somehow never really continued the tradition after my dwight mission years.

i agreed with my aunt patsy; why would anyone leave their comfortable home to go sleep in the dirt?

but then i met nik. every one of his activities and sports has to do with outdoor recreation. when we first started dating, he asked me what my hobbies were. after a pause {only to consider whether to be honest in my reply}, i answered shopping. it was the truthful response.

turns out he wasn't discouraged by my less than promising future as a sierra club member. eight years later, he still loves me. this time in between has been filled with more than enough camping trips; and if i'm being honest, i've actually enjoyed most of them. 

now, i'm in the middle - the undecided voter if you will. the perfect scenario for nik and i {according to me} is glamping. have you heard of it? if not, it's glamorous camping. nik rolled his eyes at me when i first mentioned the concept, but i think there's potential in this. he gets the fresh air, i get the shower and sheets.

why do i bring all this up? we're going camping this weekend. we've just bought our "family-size" tent. it's not of the backpacking variety - no, it's the car camping kind. you know, where you pull your car up to the campsite, pitch your tent, pull out your chairs and relax. it's so big, it's got two rooms! there's an outside vestibule to leave your dirty shoes or dirty dog!

---

somewhere along the way, camping became a fulfilling retreat away for me. a way to stop and reflect. it wasn't too long ago that i understood what thoreau was talking about with his walden pond - "to front only the essential facts of life." 

we're heading out soon. i'm looking forward to lazing around with some great books and relaxing hikes. have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Glamping! I love it. Mark and I are taking a UP trip this summer and considered staying in a Yurt. I need to look into this glamping a little more. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yurts are fantastic and kind of hilarious! we stayed at a "hotel" in big sur and all they offered were campsites and yurts! we stayed at a campsite, but the yurts were so spacious and quite nice on the inside. I love the UP - keep me posted on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...